November 14, 2008

Grey's Anatomy

Last night Darren and I settled down to watch some tv. He caught up on some DVR'd episodes and then we watched the new episode of Grey's Anatomy. If you didn't get a chance to see it you can go to the ABC home page and watch the full episode online. I loved it. There was a guest appearance of a heart surgeon that was coming to preform a surgery, the chief told the other doctors to impress her and that she was a little "off".... As soon as she walked up and stuck out her hand, didn't make much eye contact, and rattled off spontaneous facts that most people wouldn't inject in normal conversation....I looked at Darren and said, "She has Aspergers!" We watched the whole episode and right at the end they had her tell another doctor that's what she had. I knew it!! She was definitely an extreme case....but I thought it was GREAT!! All Aspies are somewhere different on the spectrum and I just loved seeing that the syndrome is getting more and more exposure!! The more people hear about it the better the understanding will be. So I just wanted to give a shout out to ABC for writing that in. I also know that Boston Legal has a regular character, Jerry, that has Aspergers also. He is quite funny and even made partner in this past weeks episode (I don't watch this show regularly). It's nice to see really successful images....Helps me remember that there is a light at the end of this tunnel I'm in right now with Hailey and she WILL lead a fulfilled life. Whether she wants to be a heart surgeon, lawyer, or whatever...she'll be great at whatever she puts her mind too!





4 comments:

Dawn said...

I didn't know what that surgeon's deal was, but at the end, I totally got it! I also thought of you right away. You're right Hailey is going to do great!

Andrea said...

Yeah, I saw that episode too. I liked how she said something at the end about how everyone was looking at her like she was crazy but they didn't know what was wrong with her. That's great that they're giving it more exposure so maybe now people will be less likely to judge.

Tabby said...

That's really cool! We don't really keep up with Grey's Anatomy anymore, so I didn't see that episode, but we do watch Boston Legal sometimes. I thought that maybe it was Asperger's that Jerry had.

:) :) :) :) :)

Nancy Hood said...

I feel that more children have this and teacher's just don't know how to recognize it! I didn't, until the year I had Christopher and picked up an issue of Good Housekeeping and by the second paragraph was saying, "this is Chris!". Solved a world of problems for him and his poor family, that had listened to a kindergarten and first grade teacher badger them with 'bad' notes :(